The Royal Rumble 2017 is done and the speculation about what’s going to happen at Wrestlemania is rife across the internet. Here is a run down of the event, winners, losers and the winner of the rumble who will headline Wrestlemania.
WWE Raw Women’s Championship: Charlotte Flair (c) vs. Bayley
Charlotte Flair is 15-0 at WWE PPVs. Her match with Bayley was an intense battle with Charlotte owning Bayley in the beginning of the match. Charlotte riled up the audience and crowd. Bayley built up a head of steam and proved herself as a worthy challenger and flew around the ring and flew off the 2nd rope with a high impact crossbody for a close 2 count.
After a to and fro encounter which led to Charlotte busting her mouth and bleeding in the ring she musters enough energy to deliver a natural selection on the side of the ring and pinning Bayley, but not ending her run for the gold. Charlotte is showing her dominance and quite rightly deserves her title of the Queen.
4.5 out of 5
WWE Universal Championship: Kevin Owens (c) vs. Roman Reigns
I have no love for this match, the entire title reign of Kevin Owens seems like a comedy show with the combination of “JeriKO” running amok on RAW teasing a split. Then you shove Roman Reigns into the mix and what you have is the match I least wanted to see.
The match starts with Jericho and Owens double teaming Roman and beating him down before being put in the shark cage. Owens takes the fight to Roman and throws punches and kicks at him and setting him up for a power bomb which he escapes. Reigns fails to put Owens through chairs and fails to get a suplex, as they get back in the ring Owens hits a huge clothesline and lays out Roman.
The highlight came when Owens set up Roman on the table and delivered a frog splash through it. Its then we see Jericho drops the regular brass knuckles to Owens who winds up for the KO punch which is blocked by Reigns the first time, the second punch connects and as Owens goes for the pin Roman kicks out much to the shock of the crowd.
After they fight some more Reigns is in the winning position for a spear when Braun Strowman appears from the crowd and pulls Roman from the ring and gets thrown onto the german table with a thud. Owens crawls over to Roman and secures the pin ending this bout.
2.5 out of 5
Stroman’s interference ended the match and what was satisfying was Roman losing to Owens. I have never been a fan of Roman yet they push him down our throats and enough is enough, the Roman empire should fall.
WWE Cruiserweight Championship: Rich Swann (c) vs. Neville
The cruiserweights have been lighting up the WWE universe and Neville has found his stride as a heel. This match tested both competitors and demonstrated Swann’s ability in the ring.
Swann started out strong in the match bouncing back and forth against Neville and producing a great flurry of moves. Neville fights Swann and can’t lock on a submission attempt and continues to beat Swann
Neville goes for a superplex which Swann avoids and hits a huge kick, a fast exchange and Neville lands the superplex and Swann kicks out at 2 but then Neville locks in the submission hold and Swann taps. We have a new Cruiserweight champion and a deserving one.
4.5 out of 5
Neville is showing such aggression in the ring and its great to see him break out and push the Cruiserweight division to its strength.
WWE Championship: AJ Styles (c) vs. John Cena
This is one bout that the crowd were hot for. AJ Styles going 1-on-1 again with John Cena in what was felt the last chance for the leader of the Cenation to win the title. AJ has been on fire since his debut a year ago and now he is poised to take centre stage at Wrestlemania.
Cena and Styles starts pushing out kicks, knees and chops while jockeying for the upper hand. Cena dodges the knees and throws the Phenomenal One into the lights, with Cena on his feet first he gears up for the first AA of the night, but Styles lands on his feet, and hits back with an enziguri.
Styles blasts Cena with a hurricanrana and fists across his chest, and Cena drops back to his regular moveset of shuffles, superplex and an attempted AA, but Styles lands a facebuster to put a stop to that.
As the match progresses Cena fights off a styles clash, but it takes Cena 3 AA attempts to put away Styles and claim his 16th world title win equalling the legend that is Ric Flair.
Was this just a stop gap to give Cena the title and put him in the main event with Orton, or did they give him the title to have another 16 time world champion… who knows, but I do know that with Cena on SmackDown this does mean we could finally see him face the Undertaker. What about Styles? with the elimination chamber in february, could we see Styles reclaim the championship and face Orton at Wrestlemania, or will he be relegated to fighting Dolph Ziggler lower down the card.
2017 WWE Royal Rumble Match
This years Rumble match delivered at every level, with so many reviews I want to pick out some of my fave moments.
- the arrival of Tye Dillinger – The perfect 10 arrives on the main roster and I can only hope he makes it to Smackdown. Seeing him team with Sami Zayn gave me goosebumps thinking about their potential.
- Jack Gallagher and his umbrella – What a way to make an entrance, he walked to the ring and got the crowds attention and they cheered him for it.
- Goldberg eliminating Lesnar – 12 seconds, thats the time it took for Goldberg to casually toss Brock over the top rope and make him look breakable.
- Undertaker and Goldberg going nose to nose – a first for the WWE and it might be the shape of things to come. Could we see a triple threat between them all at a Wrestlemania event.
- The look Undertaker gave Roman Reigns when he was eliminated – I hope we don’t see Undertaker v Reigns, but if we do I want Undertaker to end his career.
My least favourite moments of the Royal Rumble were:
- Big Show getting thrown out in a few minutes – he should have thrown Stroman out and looked strong after his amazing weight loss. This would have given him the push to fight Shaq at Wrestlemania.
- Jamses Ellsworth – please someone fire that guy, he is as useful as a dog poo sandwich. I don’t want comedy in my wrestling.
- New Day, Cesaro and Sheamus eliminations – these are the highlights of Monday Night Raw and they were eliminated in such sloppy fashion. Treat your stars better Vince.
- No surprises – last year AJ Styles made his debut and his arrival blew the roof off the arena, this year we didn’t get even get a whisper of a surprise.
- Roman Reigns as number 30 – WHY!!??!! The WWE is pushing him down our throats and enough is enough, he isn’t talented enough to be Batista v2 and not capable of being a main event player so let him turn heel and see if that helps his career.
Royal Rumble 2017 did have its highlights and lowlights, but its paving the way for Wrestlemania and early predictions are:
- Undertaker V Roman Reigns
- Brock V Goldberg
- Cena V Orton
- Triple H V Seth Rollins
- Ambrose V Ziggler
- Kevin Owens V Braun Strowman
- Nikki Bella V Natayla
- Charlotte V Bayley V Sasha